[sane-devel] canon pixma MX890 ADF empty test issues

Henry Ptasinski henry at logout.com
Mon May 27 18:28:03 UTC 2013

Thanks, somehow missed that in the man page.  I must be low on caffeine
today ...

A simple ADF test works fine over USB:

	scanimage -b --mode Gray --source "Automatic Document Feeder"
--batch-count 2
	Scanning 2 pages, incrementing by 1, numbering from 1
	Scanning page 1
	Scanned page 1. (scanner status = 5)
	Scanning page 2
	Scanned page 2. (scanner status = 5)

(I've also successfully scanned a few pages with the duplexer.)

Empty ADF appears fine at first:

	scanimage -b --mode Gray --source "Automatic Document Feeder"
--batch-count 1
	Scanning 1 pages, incrementing by 1, numbering from 1
	Scanning page 1
	scanimage: sane_read: Document feeder out of documents
	Scanned page 1. (scanner status = 7)

but the scanner is left in an unusable state.  The display continues to
say "Scanning document" until I run scanimage again, at which point the
scanner display resets to the main menu, but scanimage is not happy:

	scanimage -b --mode Gray --source "Automatic Document Feeder"
--batch-count 1
	Scanning 1 pages, incrementing by 1, numbering from 1
	Scanning page 1
	scanimage: sane_read: Error during device I/O
	Scanned page 1. (scanner status = 9)

Any further attempts to run scanimage fail, with scanimage just hanging
waiting for the printer.  The only way I've found to recover after and
ADF empty is to reboot the printer.

I'm using:

	scanimage (sane-backends) 1.0.24git; backend version 1.0.24

with sources from today.

For comparison, Canon's scangearmp v2.10.33 doesn't seem to have issues
with empty ADF on this scanner.

---
Henry Ptasinski
henry at logout.com