[sane-devel] scanbd with HP8250 (avision)

James Klaas jklaas at appalachian.dyndns.org
Fri Nov 8 17:17:19 UTC 2013

I spent some time last night trying to get scanbd running on my Ubuntu
12.03 system. I got 1.3.1 and after figuring out the dependencies, I got it
compiled and installed. I followed a post here
http://thehomeserverhandbook.com/category/hardware/scanner/ and modified
what I thought I needed to for my scanner.

On my system, the scanner owner and group is set to saned and I set the
udev rules to reflect that using 99-saned.rules found in the integration
directory. I preferred to have the daemon running separately, rather than
from xinetd, so I used the startup script.

I made sure that all the following files were set up as directed:

/etc/sane.d/dll.conf
/etc/sane.d/net.conf
/usr/local/etc/scanbd/dll.conf

I copied /etc/sane.d/saned.conf to /usr/local/etc/scanbd/saned.conf. and
commented out the access list in /etc/sane.d/saned.conf.

I can't tell if it's working or not.

If I don't restart the scanner between using saned and getting scanbd
running, I only get these messages in syslog (or on the screen if I run it
in the foreground):

localhost scanbd: /usr/local/sbin/scanbd: Iteration on dbus call

If I do restart my scanner, it will go through a different set of messages:

localhost scanbd: /usr/local/sbin/scanbd: found 34 options for device
avision:libusb:002:003

and enumerates the options repeatedly until I hit a button on the scanner,
at which point it goes back to only showing the above "Iteration on dbus
call" messages. I posted my log at http://pastebin.com/XbHawE9c.

Can anyone give me any pointers or things to try? I've looked at other
peoples posted logs and only see some similarities to what I get.

James