[sane-devel] SANE webserver up again

Henning Geinitz sane at geinitz.org
Wed Nov 27 20:19:52 UTC 2013

Hi everybody,

as you may have noticed, the SANE webserver (www.sane-project.org) is
has been down since several days. The reason was a hard disc failure on
the server that hosts SANE (alioth.debian.org). More information:
http://lists.debian.org/debian-devel-announce/2013/11/msg00003.html

So today I copied all data on alioth.debian.org from
/mnt/home/groups/sane back to the groups directory. This includes htdocs
so the website is running again on http://sane.alioth.debian.org. Also
other services like git may work again.

However, I did not test anything else but basic web functionality.
Please check and correct any scripts that may not be working and crontabs.

The mailing list archive still does not seem to work (no recent articles
since Nov 24), I have no idea why not.

I also updated the DNS A record of www.sane-project.org to the new IP
address of alioth.debin.org. DNS propagation may take some time.

Some info bout DNS configuration for the records:
www.sane-project.org, www1.sane-project.org and sane-project.org all
point to the IP address of sane.alioth.debian.org (=alioth.debian.org).
Originally there were mirrors at www2 and www3 but www2 does not work
and www3 id very old. I try to update www3 in the next few days but no
guarantees. New mirrors would be nice.

This is a one-time effort i.e. I can not handle more work on alioth. So
admins with ssh access to alioth are needed to do such work in future.
As I'm the owner of the domain name sane-project.org I'll handle request
to change the DNS records but I can't do more due to time constraints.

Kind regards

Henning Geinitz