[sane-devel] sane-backends (eposn2) segfaults pretty much all the time

Chris Bagwell chris at cnpbagwell.com
Mon Oct 7 14:12:39 UTC 2013

On Thu, Oct 3, 2013 at 1:34 PM, Johannes Bauer <dfnsonfsduifb at gmx.de> wrote:
> On 03.10.2013 13:12, m. allan noah wrote:
>> I would recommend that you use git bisect (or a manual equivalent) to
>> find the commit that breaks epson2. Then we can investigate a fix.
>
> This is really messed up:
>
> 206e6ed094c080be903b154ea3d016cc226feb89 is the first bad commit
> commit 206e6ed094c080be903b154ea3d016cc226feb89
> Author: m. allan noah <kitno-guest at alioth.debian.org>
> Date:   Sat Jun 30 21:28:14 2012 -0400
>
>     Adding new kodakaio backend
>

> The commit 206e6e is REALLY the first bad one (the one where it starts
> segfaulting). Curiously there are no changes in epson2 in there.
>
> I confirmed that the predecessor,
> df6a8ef89dbd061fb383722ddd6272e07fc468b3, is working (somewhat). At
> least it is NOT segfaulting, but displaying in the end:
>
> [...]
> Type ``scanimage --help -d DEVICE'' to get list of all options for DEVICE.
>
> List of available devices:
> libusb: 0.000000 error [do_close] Device handle closed while transfer
> was still being processed, but the device is still connected as far as
> we know
> libusb: 0.000043 error [do_close] A cancellation hasn't even been
> scheduled on the transfer for which the device is closing
>
> (then it hangs indefinitely, as described before)
>
> No idea what the hell is going on here.
>
> Best regards,
> Johannes

That info isn't to help on its own.  If its really calling
scanimage.c:2040 thats a simple function thats unlikely to fail.  I
suspect one of scanner drivers is corrupting memory while
auto-detecting scanners and epson2 is the victim... and if removing
the kodakaio driver improves things then maybe its that driver.

Can you try editing your /etc/sane.d/dll.conf and commenting out all
backends except epson2 and see if things work different?  If the
bisect is pointing towards kodakaio driver then you can also try only
commenting out that driver to try to narrow down to it.

Chris