[sane-devel] Header files required to build backends

m. allan noah kitno455 at gmail.com
Thu Apr 3 12:27:48 UTC 2014

On Thu, Apr 3, 2014 at 8:10 AM, John Paul Adrian Glaubitz
<glaubitz at physik.fu-berlin.de> wrote:
> On 04/03/2014 01:59 PM, John Paul Adrian Glaubitz wrote:
>>
>> On 04/03/2014 01:23 PM, m. allan noah wrote:
>>>
>>> Which header files do they need?
>>

>> Excerpt from the source code [1]:
>

> Ok, I figured out that sane-backends has these additional headers
> in EXTRA_DIST in include/Makefile.am.
>
> Does this mean that sane-backends is not designed to allow backends
> to be built externally? Thus, if I want to build the Canon drivers,
> I will have to have the full sources of sane-backends at hand?

That is exactly what it means. Those interfaces are not stable and not
considered part of the 'interface' of sane. In my opinion, backends
that use them but include closed source components are skirting the
edges of their legal rights, by denying you yours.

allan