[sane-devel] Canon P-215 USB modeswitching

John Paul Adrian Glaubitz glaubitz at physik.fu-berlin.de
Thu Apr 3 16:31:53 UTC 2014

Hi Allan!

On 04/03/2014 03:03 AM, m. allan noah wrote:
> I worked on the backend for this scanner remotely, but I've never
> actually touched one. I had no idea it did this modeswitching.

Short update:

After unsuccessfully trying several hours to get the proprietary Canon
backend compile with SANE, I did some more tests with the backend you
wrote and it turns out that I just had to flip the switch on the
backside of the scanner labeled "Auto Start" (see [1], p. 13).

Setting that switch to "Off" will turn the scanner immediately into
scan mode, changing its USB device ID to 0x1646 and making it work like
a charm with your backend.

I could scan both simplex and duplex, b/w and color and use all possible
resolutions, very happy with the scanner now :).

It should probably added to the manpage of the canon_dr backend that
this switch needs to be turned off.

Cheers,

Adrian

--