[sane-devel] sane-coolscan3 --subframe behavior

Zach Sterba zas618 at gmail.com
Mon Aug 11 03:27:24 UTC 2014

Dear Sane Developers,

I am using sane-coolscan3 to scan negatives on a Nikon LS-50 ED with an
SA-21 strip feeder.

The --subframe option produces unexpected results: The right side of the
image is "smeared" by the distance specified, rather than offsetting the
entire frame (see attachment). I have several questions:

1. Should --subframe advance the film through the SA-21 rollers by the
specified distance? or simply offset the scanner head?

2. Is the sane-coolscan3 source code available, and is there a community
that can help me build and use new sane libraries?

I need to offset the frame by any arbitrary distance, since the SA-21 does
a poor job of automatically aligning frames. I am willing to get my hands
dirty with some coding if necessary to make this happen.

Thanks.

Zach Sterba