[sane-devel] Use poll() instead of select() in backends

Nils Philippsen nils at tiptoe.de
Fri Aug 29 13:30:27 UTC 2014

On Fri, 2014-08-29 at 08:10 -0400, m. allan noah wrote:
> Given that poll() is reported to be flaky on certain versions of OSX,
> we need to at least keep select() as an option.

Is it anything beyond that poll() on OS/X doesn't wake up on zero-sized
packets (a colleague mentioned this to me)? I mean I find a bunch of
stuff where poll() is really flaky on 10.4/Tiger but that's unsupported
since 2009 IIRC.

> saned.c has a private
> poll() implementation which uses select, perhaps it could be
> re-used/extended somewhere in sanei, for those platforms that need it?

/*
 * This replacement poll() using select() is only designed to cover
 * our needs in run_standalone(). It should probably be extended...
 */

We'd need to figure out if there are use cases which go beyond what this
poll() implementation can do.

Nils
--
Nils Philippsen / Wilhelmstraße 22 / D-71229 Leonberg
nils at tiptoe.de / nils at redhat.com
Ever noticed that common sense isn't really all that common?