[sane-devel] sane to work with USB 3.0

Heinz Wiesinger HMWiesinger at liwjatan.at
Tue Dec 16 16:23:43 UTC 2014

On Tuesday 16 December 2014 10:33:14 m. allan noah wrote:
> I have just committed an attempted workaround for this Linux kernel
> bug. I have tested with Fujitsu and Canon scanners, and it does fix
> the problem. I have not tested with other scanners. We need as much
> testing on this as we can get. Please build from a current git
> checkout (or tomorrow's git snapshot), and let us know what you find.

I fetched the git code and tested this with my Canon Lide 210. The behavior
definitely changed, although it's not really working yet. Using xsane, when
acquiring a preview I can hear the scanner move now all the time, before it
would abort right at the beginning with an invalid command. However, the
preview image is not updated and the scanner tries to go beyond it's physical
bounds (ie, never stops moving). Scanning itself always aborts with "Failed to
start scanner: Invalid argument".

I tried to make usb captures with wireshark, they are available here:

http://www.liwjatan.at/files/logs/preview.pcapng.gz
http://www.liwjatan.at/files/logs/scan.pcapng.gz

The first is plug in scanner, start xsane, try to acquire review and then
unplug when it doesn't stop moving.
The second is plug in scanner, start xsane, try to scan (2x)

I'm running kernel 3.18.0 as well, seeing as that included some USB3 related
fixes.

Grs,
Heinz