[sane-devel] improve scanbd for Debian

Thorsten Müller thorsten at mueller-kleinheinz.de
Wed Dec 17 11:29:26 UTC 2014

Am Mittwoch, 17. Dezember 2014, 16:47:31 schrieb Rolf Leggewie:
> On 12.12.2014 13:58, Wilhelm wrote:
> > Be sure that scanbd uses the correct location of libsane config
> > files
> > (see ReadMe). In most cases this will be a seperate directory (e.g.
> > /etc/scanbd) where all configs and dll.conf are. This dll.conf must
> > not contain the net-backend.
> >
> > On the other hand the standard libsane config location (/etc/sane)
> > has to contain a dll.conf with only the net backend.
> >
> > I changed trunk to include an additional debug output to log the
> > env-var SANE_CONFIG_DIR. Please check the startup-script if the
> > right dir ist set ...
>
> SANE_CONFIG_DIR is set to /etc/scanbd.  The dll.conf files were not
> set up according to above requirements but when I changed them that
> way everything stopped working, including scanbd from the command
> line or even "scanimage -L".  sane-find-scanner would continue to
> find the device, though.
>
> Before I attempted to change things, /etc/scanbd/dll.conf contained
> ONLY the net backend and /etc/sane.d/dll.conf contained a whole bunch
> of backends including genesys and net.
>
> I've managed to get /etc/scanbd/dll.conf to contain ONLY the genesys
> backend (dropped the net backend) without breaking anything that was
> previously working.  Now it's on to get saned to work over the network
> which I remember from a few years ago when I did this for actually
> scanning across the LAN to be a horrible config nightmare.
>
> I will need to look into how to make that part work as expected and
> then I will need to figure out how to make sure that the Debian users
> have a proper setup.  This will be complicated since it involves the
> configuration files for a separate package.
>
> On 12.12.2014 15:32, Simon Matter wrote:
> >> Given that you were unable to see any difference I started a re-run
> >> and inserted some markers into syslog with the logger command to
> >> make sure I will be able to gather what happened when this time.
> >> From what I understand now, it seems that the scanner is indeed
> >> NOT recognized.  How can that come about, especially given that on
> >> a call from the command-line things work just fine with the same
> >> configuration?>
> > That sounds like a kind of permission problem. Is there something
> > like udev granting access to the device for locally logged in users
> > which does not happen when started iva init?
>
> Simon, permissions problem was my first thought as well.  But I had
> run a few tests already and kind of ruled that out.  This included
> setting user and group in scanbd.conf to root.root.  I verified with
> ps that scanbd was indeed running as the root user but even then the
> buttons did not trigger a reaction.
>
> When I call scanbd from the command line the script does not switch to
> the saned user.  It only does this (for understandable reasons) when
> called as "sudo scanbd -f".  But even then, the buttons work.

I found this thread just now. It's a good thing you try to build a
debian package for scanbd. For my own purposes, I built a dabian package
from scanbd to work on my Kubuntu 12.04 LTS system that sets up
everything to work as expected. If you are interested, I could mail the
*.debian.tar.gz file so you can check out what I did to make things
work. My local scanner is a Canon LiDE 210 which uses the genesys
backend as well, so your setup should be very similar to mine.

My package depends on libsane 1.0.24 or higher since earlier versions
don't supoprt the five front panel buttons on my LiDE 210.

The package is built with scanbd 1.4.0

Greetings
Thorsten