[sane-devel] Cascading saned servers

Jens-U. Mozdzen jmozdzen at nde.ag
Wed Jun 18 09:07:23 UTC 2014

Hi *,

I'm attempting to use cascading saned servers, in other words: I'm
trying to share a scanner that is reachable from the "saned" system
via its network back-end.

Technically, this works. Unfortunately, either saned or the clients
are not prepared for this, as the network scanners are not not listed
via "xsane" nor "scanimage -L".

The manual pages and network resources I found during my search seem
ambiguous: Some people talk about "scanners local to the saned
server", while the man page says "[saned] allows remote clients to
access image acquisition devices available on the local host", which
includes those reachable via network, too.

I've tested with saned from sane-backends-1.0.20-7.6.1 (SLES11SP3) and
scanimage from sane-backends-1.0.23-9.2.3.i586 (Opensuse 13.1) and
xsane-0.998-19.1.4.i586.

Machines involved:
- client machine (Opensuse 13.1)
- central saned server (SLES11SP3) "sanedserver.company.com"
- remote saned server (i.e. Opensuse 13.1)

When specifying the network scanner via "scanimage -d
net:sanedserver.company.com:net:anothersanedserver.company.com:somedriver:somescanner" on the client machine, I can scan successfully, although running "scanimage -L" wouldn't list that device. "xsane" users are left out, as they're presented the same list as the one from "scanimage -L" , thus not seeing the cascaded scanner on the client
machine.

Running "scanimage -L" on the central saned server will list the
remote scanner.

We're using this design because of hub&spoke configurations, where
remote saned servers will only permit the central server in their
/etc/saned.conf and all clients connect only to the central saned
server.

To be precise, it's the device listing that doesn't seem to work.
Probably the central saned server doesn't report network-connected
scanners to its clients. Is this "working as designed", or have I hit
a bug?

Regards,
Jens