[sane-devel] Reverse engeneering of a network attached scanner?

Jörg Knochen joerg at jcbone.de
Thu Jun 26 20:10:46 UTC 2014

Hi!

I just bundled up a package containing the wireshark file, the resulting tif and a screen capture of the scanning process including the scan interface, wiresharks window and video of a webcam which shows the behaviour of the scanner in sync with the rest. I think it might be easier to work out the meaning of the data stream in conjunction with the video.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/oyfmmxcbi6qz55s/vistascan_package_140626.zip

What we can see:

• at frame 100 the scan is initiated in the imaging software
• at frame 135 the driver checks for the scanner
• at frame 220 the twain scan interface is open, the scanner starts its spindle
• at frame 413 the scanner opens its access door
• at frame 473 the access door recognises the plate and closes, pinching the plate
• at frame 500 the image plate is inserted (with quite some force, since it’s pinched in by the door)
• at frame 524 the scanner recognises the plate, starts pulling it in and switches on the erasing light (the plates can be reused, after being erased by photons)
• at frame 690 the fist usable data is coming in (look at the Twain GUI)
• at frame 1003 scanning stops, but the scanner has to pull the whole plate through it’s mechanism. Plates can have different sizes…
• at frame 1363 the plate drops out of the scanner
• at frame 1403 the light is turned off and the access door opens up again
• at frame 1559 the twain GUI is closed. the access door gets shut and the spindle gets turned off

you can see the inner workings of the scanner here:
http://www.duerrdental.com/en/products/imaging/vistascan-image-plate-scanner/vistascan-mini-plus/?changeLang=1

If there are any questions left…

Jörg