[sane-devel] It make sense to acquire "raw" data from negative scan?

Niccolo Rigacci niccolo at rigacci.org
Wed Mar 5 17:03:22 UTC 2014

Hi to all,

I wish to acquire several negative films with my new Canon
CanoScan 9000F Mark II.

I cannot resolve a doubt of mine: does the color correction
at scan time influence how data is read by the device (e.g.
tuning the backlight or the sensor sensitivity)?

With xsane I can adjust colors before scanning, using gamma,
brightness, contrast; there are also some "medium type" presets
for different film brands (Kodak, Fuji, etc.).

Those parameters are applied before scanning, i.e. sent to the
scanner to obtain different readings? Or they are just applied by
software on the received "raw" data?

In the latter case I would prefer to acquire without color
correction at all, and just apply the best recipe afterwards with
a batch software procedure. I wish also to keep the original
"raw" scan for future and better recipes.

--
Niccolo Rigacci - http://www.rigacci.net/
Campi Bisenzio - Firenze - Italy