[sane-devel] fujitus scansnap ix500 (not found by sane-find-scanner)

andreo73 andrea.baragi at gmail.com
Mon May 19 15:23:16 UTC 2014

Hi,
I'm trying to get a ix500 work on my pc with ubuntu 14.04 freshly installed;
the scanner is attached through usb cable to a usb2 port (my pc has only
usb2 ports)

when the usb cable is first connected (or the scanner is switched on), dmesg
reports

 usb 2-6: new high-speed USB device number 6 using ehci-pci
 usb 2-6: New USB device found, idVendor=04c5, idProduct=132b
 usb 2-6: New USB device strings: Mfr=1, Product=2, SerialNumber=0
 usb 2-6: Product: ScanSnap iX500
 usb 2-6: Manufacturer: Fujitsu

the backend is installed from the debian libsane package (version number
1.0.23-3ubuntu3)

I've modified the fujitsu.conf file appending at the end

#ScanSnap iX500
usb 0x04c5 0x132b

I've also modified /etc/default/saned to have RUN=yes  and restarted with
sudo service saned restart
(the service starts with no errors)

sane-find-scanner *does not* find anything, even with sudo

sudo scanimage -L remains silend for almost a minute, during which the
scanner's blue light change status, becomes half/orange and flashing ; after
a minute or more, the response is "No scanners were identified. ...."

any suggestion? where to start?

thanks!!