[sane-devel] Shared scanner from Linux in Mac OS X Mavericks

Dr. Madhurjya P. Bora mpbora at yahoo.com
Thu May 22 06:30:13 UTC 2014

Dear All!

I have an All-in-One HP printer/scanner which is connected to a GNU Linux (Ubuntu 14.04) desktop and shared via saned daemon. In my iMac (Mavericks 10.9.3), I have installed by the TWAIN SANE packages following standard instructions and set up everything to get the scanner from the Linux box.

What puzzles me is that :

1. The scanner works fine in the Linux (localhost) machine
2. sane-find-scanner from the MAC does not show anything
3. However scanimage -L detects the scanner and following is the output:

In the MAC
$ scanimage -L

device `net:10.10.136.70:hpaio:/usb/Officejet_Pro_L7300?serial=MY73L3228Z' is a Hewlett-Packard Officejet_Pro_L7300 all-in-one

4. Also in the MAC, scanimage works as a command line tool and produces the desired image

However, when I run Image Capture, it does not detect any device. I know that in Mavericks, there some issues with Image Capture using the sane-detected scanner. But "preview" also does not detect the scanner nor the commercial software "vuescan".

The simple GUI "snac" tries to work but returns error

I also have the HP softwares installed in my MAC which also does not detect the shared scanner.

I am at a loss what to do! There must be some way to access a shared scanner in Mavericks?

BTW, I can successfully print the same printer/scanner machine connected to the Linux box from the MAC, which has been shared with CUPS in the Linux box. Is this creating a conflict?

Any help will be highly appreciated as this driving me nuts for last two weeks. Regards,

--- Madhurjya