[sane-devel] libsane-epson missing, presumed dead

Olaf Meeuwissen olaf.meeuwissen at avasys.jp
Tue Oct 7 23:41:29 UTC 2014

Mark Ballard writes:

> Dear Sane Devs (isn't that some sort of misnomer?)
>
> I'm writing to let you know about problems with libsane-epson.
>
> All enquiries I have pursued on this lead to the Epson website. But
> the Epson website which seems not to have the drivers for download.
> I've emailed Epson about this.

The Epson website has its own driver available for download.  See

  http://download.ebz.epson.net/dsc/search/01/search/?OSC=LX

and search for your particular model.

> But meanwhile, you might find it helpful to know that the standard
> libsane Linux packages do not include libsane-epson, though they do
> have them referenced in the config files. (At least they are not there
> in the ubuntu debian repositories).

Just checked the libsane package for trusty (14.04), trusty-updates and
utopic (14.10 to be) and this package does include libsane-epson.

  https://packages.ubuntu.com/trusty/amd64/libsane/filelist
  https://packages.ubuntu.com/trusty-updates/amd64/libsane/filelist
  https://packages.ubuntu.com/utopic/amd64/libsane/filelist

What "standard libsane Linux" packages are you referring to?  Oh, wait,
you were looking for a libsane-epson package, right?  You should install
the libsane package which includes the epson backend (as well as about
another 85 backends or so you probably don't need).

The hpaio backend is a third party backend, just like the one on the
Epson download site.  These are developed independently from the SANE
project and not included in the sane-backends soure tree.  Because of
that such backends are normally packaged separately.

> [snip]

Hope this helps,
                 http://www.fsf.org/jf?referrer=1962