[sane-devel] libsane-epson missing, presumed dead

Mark Ballard markjballard at googlemail.com
Sat Oct 11 15:09:12 UTC 2014

> What "standard libsane Linux" packages are you referring to?

Well, I meant that my system had libsane installed. I was using the
standard, if you can call it that, install of Xubuntu - and by
standard I meant, how it comes off the peg.

> you were looking for a libsane-epson package, right?  You should install
> the libsane package which includes the epson backend (as well as about
> another 85 backends or so you probably don't need).

If only I had known that this was possible and which package would
have given that functionality.... I had searched repositories for
references to epson (and in relation to sane) but without any luck.

> The hpaio backend is a third party backend, just like the one on the
> Epson download site.  These are developed independently from the SANE
> project and not included in the sane-backends soure tree.  Because of
> that such backends are normally packaged separately.

Okay. Cool. There might be some user glue missing somewhere.

>> [snip]

Oh don't snip user protests, please! If the cries of anguish don't get
through, the proletariat will always be thought happy in and deserving
of their labour.

Cheers

Mark.