[sane-devel] Fwd: canon lide 110 - buttons - don't working :/

Vinayaga Raman vinayag at yahoo.com
Fri Oct 17 16:21:57 UTC 2014

Tobias Stoeber <tobi <at> to-st.de> writes:

> Hi,
>
> Am 30.11.2012 07:15, schrieb Wilhelm:
> > Am 30.11.2012 02:27, schrieb Tobias Stoeber:
> >> Well, I am using a Canon LiDE 200 scanner. Should work similar to your
> >> LiDE 110 ... Using it under Ubuntu 10.04 (well, yes it's old  with
> >> scanbuttond 0.2.3.
> >
> > Well, the old scanbuttond has the disadvantage, that it blocks other
> > appliations from scanning at the same time it polls the buttons.
> >
> > This is the reason for scanbd being:
> >
> > http://sourceforge.net/projects/scanbd/
>
> The only thing I did, was to describe a setup, that I am using
> successfully with my Canon LiDE scanner. Not more. I did not claim, that
> this be the ultimate or whever solution. 8-|
>
> As I am not using saned, I've never experienced problems ....
>
> Furthermore scanbuttond came / comes with most distributions, with a
> small modification, I've a package that smotthly installs or deinstalls,
> without leaving me to clean somethin manually from /usr/local or /opt....
>
> I'll habe a look at scanbd, but for now I don't see much, that makes the
> working solution any better.
>
> >> #define NUM_SUPPORTED_USB_DEVICES 3
> >> [....]
> >> static char* usb_device_descriptions[NUM_SUPPORTED_USB_DEVICES][2] = {
> >
> > Please change the dimension also to 3 or use NUM_SUPPORTED_USB_DEVICES!
>
> Why should I unnecessarily change the (second) dimension? It doesn't
> change while adding additional scanner models. And the first dimension
> already uses NUM_SUPPORTED_USB_DEVICES! (This is just code, that exists
> in scannerbuttond.).
>
> Cheers, Tobias

I recently purchased the Lide 110 and tried to get the scanner buttons
working on my ubuntu home server using a tool called scanbuttond. But after
a day of trying to compile everything, I figured two things:

    1. The genesys backend that is available from older versions of
scanbuttond works only with lower versions of the Canon Lide series,
including Lide 100 and 200.

    2. The USB protocol and handshake have changed in the Lide 110 and Lide
210. So even if you manage to get it all compiled, the old genesys backend
no longer works.

So I started to dig into the various information on the internet and have
finally figured  a way to get this working. I thought it would be useful to
share with people who need to get this combination working. I have detailed
the full teps in my own blog:

http://vinayaga-raman.blogspot.in/2014/10/getting-scanbuttond-to-work-with-lide.html

-Vinayaga