[sane-devel] Problems with OSX and SANE using 'net' and 'HP5590' backends

Andy Ody andy.ody at gmail.com
Sat Oct 25 17:05:51 UTC 2014

Hi All,

I am still hoping someone can help me getting my scanner up and running
under OSX.

I have an HP scanjet 5590 flatbed scanner that has driver support.

I've installed Twain Sane onto OSX and I can scan from the command line
with the scanner attached locally or across a network using the 'net'
driver.

But, when I try to use the Twain Sane interface I get nowhere.

Locally, the sane driver shows up in the printers and scanners preferences
pane, and I can see it in image capture. If I try to 'scan' from image
capture the scanner calibrates then hangs, and image capture freezes on
'overveiw scan'. In console there is the message

25/10/2014 17:45:23 [0x0-0x32032].com.apple.TWAINBridge[674] [hp5590] Data
requested won't fit in the bulk read buffer (requested: 2988600, buffer
size: 1048576

This also happens in preview and scanning from the twain sane interface
itself.

Over a network, even though I can scan from the command line across the
network, and sane-find-scanner and scanimage -L both work from the command
line on the remote machine, I cannot seem to get the scanner to show up in
any GUI application at all. I've tried this from OSX 10.6 all the way thru
to 10.9.

Ultimately I want to configure the Mac to be able to use the scanner across
the network, and whilst I can run it from the command line, no way in hell
my wife can.

Can anyone offer any advice at all? Please?

thanks

Andy