[sane-devel] Canon laser multi-functional support: MFNP protocol

Louis Lagendijk louis at fazant.net
Wed Apr 1 16:19:05 UTC 2015

On Wed, 2015-04-01 at 18:39 +0300, Michael Shigorin wrote:
>     Hello Louis,
>
> thank you for the SANE efforts!
>

> I've curently got access to a few MFNP capable Canon multifunctionals,
> namely imageRUNNER 1133iF and i-Sensys MF6140dn/MF8540Cdn; these avoid
> any networked scans for me so far (tried both 1.0.24 and today's git
> snapshot), but I've got some debug dumps to start with; 8540 does get
> identified (but fails to scan) while 6140 and 1133 sort of show up
> with get_scanner_id but seem to fail with sanei_bjnp_find_devices.
>

> Trying to arrange some kind of development-mode access so I could do
> pcap dumps and provide better feedback, would it be useful to you?
>

> Note that all three of these MFPs won't scan over USB for me either;
> 1133 and some other MF8xxx are marked as "untested" over at
> http://sane-project.org/sane-mfgs.html#Z-CANON -- my understanding of
> https://lists.alioth.debian.org/pipermail/sane-devel/2011-February/028295.html is that your BJNP/MFNP code might be OK for  at least for 8540 with the actual backend needing to be fixed first.
>
> PS: I'm not subscribed to sane-devel@ yet (been "lurking" via archives
> for years though), will hopefully do as soon as I have access to my
> regular email, and it'd be good to CC the list in the meantime if this
> message is worth replying to.

Hi Mike
Before anything: if scanning over USB  does not work, trying to scan
over the network is bound to fail. Please get the mailing list to help
you with that first.
for the MF8540 first a question: what did you use to initiate the scan?
It looks as if a scan was not attempted. Please try (over USB):
scanimage > filename
and see what happens. As you saw it is not clear whether the device is
supported with the current pixma backend. Maybe somebody on the list
that knows the backend better than I do can help you with that (the
MF8500 series is listed in pixma_imageclass.c, so it is probably
possible to get it working, I only wrote the networking code).

the ImageRunner 1133 is listed too in the same file, so getting it to
work is probably possible too

The MF6100 series is not listed, but it again might be quite possible to
get it to work.

But again: please get the devices to work over USB first before you
attempt the network. On the list you should be able to get more help. I
only wrote the network code, not the bsckend proper

Kind regards, Louis