[sane-devel] Error: Canon Pixma MG7550 hangs

Louis Lagendijk louis at fazant.net
Sat Jan 3 10:16:10 UTC 2015

On Fri, 2015-01-02 at 22:59 +0100, Martin wrote:
> Hi Troels
>
> > *Is it USB3 (on the computer)?
> no, it is USB2
> > *Do you have access to another computer, where you can try it - Does it
> > work excactly the same strange way ... ?
> No,I don't have access to another computer. But I have also Windows 7
> installed. With Windows 7 and the Canon-software it works OK.
>
> > *Does unit have ethernet connection / can you try that way?
> Yes. With the ethernet connection the printer works. Thus the IP-address below
> is correct.
> But I cannot access the scanner.
> 	xsane pixma:MG7500_192.168.0.3
> results in the error message "illegal argument". Same thing with
> 	scanimage --help -d bnjp://192.168.0.3:8612
Hi Martin
If the scanner does not work on a USB port it is quite unlikely to work
over the network: the bjnp network code just carries the USB exchange
over IP.
Anyhow, you can find the name with scanimage -L (but make sure that port
8612 is not blocked by a firewall (see the man-page for sane-pixma in
the latest sources from GIT. you need to enable port 8612 for both
incoming and outgoing traffic.

Louis