[sane-devel] correcting upside-down pages in duplex mode using ADF

ken gebser at mousecar.com
Fri Jan 30 16:52:11 UTC 2015

Thanks, Allan.  I talked with HP tech support about this too and the
answer I got was, "they all do that" and, if you want that kind of
scanning (where all the pages come out right-side-up), you have to get a
dedicated scanner which costs twice as much (and doesn't have printing
and faxing capabilities).

My current office space isn't large enough to accommodate a lot of such
dedicated devices and, for other reasons, a less expensive all-in-one
(AIO) printer like the one I bought makes sense.  I mean, for $150 I get
a nice ADF/duplex printer, scanner, copier, and fax machine; that's a
lot of technology in a relatively small space and for a very good price.
  That they provide drivers for Linux is also major.

Yes, it would be much better if HP designed into this product the logic
which would do "convert -flip" in the hardware.  It would be much faster
if done in the hardware and probably cost them just a couple bucks more
per machine.  But that's the economic system we have and it's not likely
to change in the near future.  I just thought that, if "they all do that
[backside upside-down thing]", there might be an option in xsane-- say,
a button in the GUI to click on-- to vertically flip the backside of
each page when scanning in duplex mode.  Maybe the option would best
reside in xsane's configuration settings for the individual scanner. (?)

Would this list be the place to make this feature request?