[sane-devel] sane to work with USB 3.0

Heinz Wiesinger HMWiesinger at liwjatan.at
Tue Mar 3 15:27:02 UTC 2015

On Tuesday 16 December 2014 17:23:43 Heinz Wiesinger wrote:
> On Tuesday 16 December 2014 10:33:14 m. allan noah wrote:
> > I have just committed an attempted workaround for this Linux kernel
> > bug. I have tested with Fujitsu and Canon scanners, and it does fix
> > the problem. I have not tested with other scanners. We need as much
> > testing on this as we can get. Please build from a current git
> > checkout (or tomorrow's git snapshot), and let us know what you find.
>
> I fetched the git code and tested this with my Canon Lide 210. The behavior
> definitely changed, although it's not really working yet. Using xsane, when
> acquiring a preview I can hear the scanner move now all the time, before it
> would abort right at the beginning with an invalid command. However, the
> preview image is not updated and the scanner tries to go beyond it's
> physical bounds (ie, never stops moving). Scanning itself always aborts
> with "Failed to start scanner: Invalid argument".
>
> I tried to make usb captures with wireshark, they are available here:
>
> http://www.liwjatan.at/files/logs/preview.pcapng.gz
> http://www.liwjatan.at/files/logs/scan.pcapng.gz
>
> The first is plug in scanner, start xsane, try to acquire preview and then
> unplug when it doesn't stop moving.
> The second is plug in scanner, start xsane, try to scan (2x)
>
> I'm running kernel 3.18.0 as well, seeing as that included some USB3 related
> fixes.

Retested with kernel 4.0.0-rc1 and the USB3 related patches that came out of a
recent discussion on linux-usb (http://www.spinics.net/lists/linux-usb/msg120507.html). No dice, still not working :(

Mike, since your initial report was against the same scanner I have, did you
happen to have any success yet?

Grs,
Heinz