[sane-devel] help compiling sane

Paul Newall p.newalls at ntlworld.com
Fri Mar 6 18:52:44 UTC 2015

On 06/03/15 09:44, Rafe DiDomenico wrote:
> Just for fun, I rebooted and tried everything again. Now I get:
>
> rafe at office:~$ find /usr -name libsane.s*
>
>     /usr/lib/libsane.so.1.0.25
>     /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libsane.so.1.0.25
>     /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libsane.so.1.0.24
>     /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libsane.so
>     /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libsane.so.1
>     /usr/lib/libsane.so
>     /usr/lib/libsane.so.1
>
> So it is in x86...
> Find-scanner identifies the scanner, but still getting no further.
>
>     found USB scanner (vendor=0x04a9 [Canon], product=0x190f
>     [CanoScan], chip=GL848+) at libusb:002:002
>       # Your USB scanner was (probably) detected. It may or may not be
>     supported by
>       # SANE. Try scanimage -L and read the backend's manpage.
>
>       # Not checking for parallel port scanners.
>
>       # Most Scanners connected to the parallel port or other
>     proprietary ports
>       # can't be detected by this program.
>
> rafe at office:~$ sudo scanimage -L
>
>     No scanners were identified. If you were expecting something
>     different,
>     check that the scanner is plugged in, turned on and detected by the
>     sane-find-scanner tool (if appropriate). Please read the documentation
>     which came with this software (README, FAQ, manpages).

rafe,
So I'd say your current situation is that you have sane installed in a
couple of places (usr/lib and usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu)
and you are running a version of 1.0.25
I think the genesys backend is supposed to support your lide 220
scanner, so I'd now do this in terminal:
    ...$ export SANE_DEBUG_GENESYS=10
    ...$ scanimage -L
the first line causes the genesys backend to output debug information
when you run scanimage, a higher number gives more detail.
So you should see some debug info as scanimage looks for the scanner.
(If you see nothing the genesys backend is probably not enabled)

If the backend is being run by scanimage, but not finding the scanner:
Look at the file  /etc/sane.d/genesys.conf to see if it has the lines
    # Canon LiDE 220
    usb 0x04a9 0x190f
if not your version of sane may not be new enough.