[sane-devel] Xsane can't find scanner - again, but this one is USB

MR ZenWiz mrzenwiz at gmail.com
Tue Nov 3 06:50:16 UTC 2015

On Fri, Oct 30, 2015 at 8:17 PM, Olaf Meeuwissen
<paddy-hack at member.fsf.org> wrote:

> MR ZenWiz writes:
>
> Others have already commented on the fact the USB3 support and the xhci
> kernel driver may be causing your trouble.

This could very well be - it's one of the white m/b ports labeled USB
(not USB3), so I have to trust that--sort of.

> I have had XSane refuse to start on me when I switched devices in the
> past.  XSane keeps a cache with information on devices and settings in
> the ~/.sane/xsane/ directory.  Removing that directory may help.

Thanks, I did not know that.

> However, when troubleshooting device detection issues, it is better to
> use the scanimage command-line utility first.  See the manual page for
> usage details but
>
>   scanimage -L
>
> will give the list of detected, usable devices.  You can select between
> these with the -d option.

Yes, I ran that.  At the time, it did not see the scanner.  Now it
does.  The key for me was a potential incompatibility between the
hplip Synaptic reported and the one the scanner thought was installed.
I reinstalled the hplip driver and so far all is well.

I have apologized to Johannes privately for my frustrated outburst -
it was ill-conceived and not SANE's fault (if there is any fault
here).  I will endeavor to keep my comments productive in the future.
(It's been a long time since I did that, not here, and hopefully much
longer this time.)

Would it be possible to give xsane a slightly friendlier interface
such that, when it can't find a scanner, it asks the user which device
they think it should see/use?  Having it just quit with no options
seems most unfriendly.  Just a thought....

Thanks to all.
MR