[sane-devel] Xsane can't find network scanner

Paul Newall p.newalls at ntlworld.com
Fri Oct 16 19:54:42 UTC 2015

I recently set up a new  HP aio device.
I found that hplip was installed with the sane backend hpaio in
/usr/lib/sane
whereas the rest of sane backends is in /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/sane
so a made a new link called libsane-hpaio.so.1 in
/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/sane which points to the backend
/usr/lib/sane/libsane-hpaio.so.1.0.0
and that got my device working.

Alternatively, perhaps it's possible to configure hplip so it installs
the backend into /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/sane ?

Paul

On 16/10/15 20:37, MR ZenWiz wrote:
> Alan,
>
> Thanks, yes the hplip project lists the Envy 4500, but I'm pretty sure
> I have that installed already.
>
> I'll check again when I get to the machine tonight.
>
> MR
>
> On Fri, Oct 16, 2015 at 5:13 AM, m. allan noah <kitno455 at gmail.com> wrote:
>> The Envy 4500 is not the same as the Scanjet 4500. This device is not
>> supported by our sane-backends. Try the hplip project, and see if
>> their sane driver covers it.
>>
>> allan
>>
>> On Fri, Oct 16, 2015 at 4:43 AM, MR ZenWiz <mrzenwiz at gmail.com> wrote:
>>> I routinely use my Xubuntu 14.04.3 laptop, at my lady friend's house,
>>> where she has an HP Envy 4500 all in one on her wireless network.
>>>
>>> Xsane can't seem to find the scanner.
>>>
>>> I've edited the /etc/sane.d/net.conf to this:
>>>
>>> # This is the net backend config file.
>>>
>>> ## net backend options
>>> # Timeout for the initial connection to saned. This will prevent the backend
>>> # from blocking for several minutes trying to connect to an unresponsive
>>> # saned host (network outage, host down, ...). Value in seconds.
>>> # connect_timeout = 60
>>>
>>> ## saned hosts
>>> # Each line names a host to attach to.
>>> # If you list "localhost" then your backends can be accessed either
>>> # directly or through the net backend.  Going through the net backend
>>> # may be necessary to access devices that need special privileges.
>>> localhost
>>> mar8710w