[sane-devel] Still not able to use Epson 4180 with SANE

Roger rogerx.oss at gmail.com
Sat Apr 16 02:14:39 UTC 2016

I'm by far an expert of this list and just monitoring the list since I've
recently scanned in two rolls of negatives using VueScan and now playing around
with XSane.  Personally, I prefer using Sane/XSane...

Seems you are correct from your additional (below included) notes, your Epson
scanner is supported or more specifically, should work through epkowa backend,
but is officially unsupported.  But if you read into the statement,
"Unsupported: supported by the epkowa backend plus non-free interpreter"
Again, I have a Canon and no Epson as I wanted to avoid proprietary drivers
when using Linux, but this sounds as if the epkowa is talking through the
proprietary Epson IScan backend/driver to me.

At first, I was going to say maybe the iscan utility has a backend service
claiming or locking the device to it's service, disallowing Sane/XSane access
to the device.  But from the sounds of it, this may not be true.

What I would probably do for troubleshooting, uninstall the iscan and just use
the epkowa backend with Sane/XSane and see what happens.  However as I'm
researching more of this here, I'm pretty sure Sane/Xsane (if compiled with
epson/iscan support) should automatically use the installed IScan drivers.  My
guess is, Epkowa support is only support using the proprietary IScan driver!

Also, look over the included epkowa.conf file as there is a setting to force
using a USB Vendor device ID by the driver.

Next time, buy a Canon 9000f or something not chained to proprietary drivers?
;-)

Roger
http://rogerx.freeshell.org/