[sane-devel] [janitorial] project member list and maintenance status clean up

Johannes Meixner jsmeix at suse.de
Mon Dec 19 08:38:12 UTC 2016

Hello,

On Dec 18 19:01 Olaf Meeuwissen wrote (excerpt):
> What do you think?  Should I just go ahead and make it clear
> that a *lot* of backends are unmaintained and leave it up to
> project members to start maintaining the ones they care about?

from my point of view an essential part of the ideas behind
free software is openness and truthfulness.

I.e. from my point of view go ahead and make it very clear
and obvious for everybody what the actual state is.

I think the worst thing that could happen is that someone
may volunteer for an unmaintained backend.
In contrast when actually unmaintained code is somehow
listed as if it was maintained then someone who does
not know the details may never think about to volunteer.

> Just because people wrote and/or changed a significant chunk
> of a backend doesn't mean they intend to maintain it.

I disagree to some extent:
I think the one who wrote a piece of code should also maintain
his piece of code - of course not forever - but at least for some
reasonable time until it is clear that his piece of code is o.k.

FYI:
I love things like "git log -p --follow" and "git blame -w -M"
for correct assignment of guilt ;-)

Kind Regards
Johannes Meixner
Graham Norton - HRB 21284 (AG Nuernberg)