[sane-devel] Scanner Lide 210 working with old and bleeding edge distro, but not with current stable distro

Johannes Meixner jsmeix at suse.de
Tue Feb 23 08:01:00 UTC 2016

Hello,

On Feb 22 17:01 Sebastian Weber wrote (excerpt):
> # lsusb
> Bus 001 Device 005: ID 04a9:190a Canon, Inc. CanoScan LiDE 210
> # lsusb -t
> /: Bus 01.Port 1: Dev 1, Class=root_hub, Driver=ehci-pci/10p, 480M
...  |
>    |__ Port 6: Dev 5, If 0, Class=Vendor Specific Class, Driver=,

Your scanner is connected at USB "Bus 001" as "Device 005" and
for the USB "Bus 01" the kernel "Driver=ehci-pci" is used
which means so called "USB 2" is used for your scanner.

For further information see my previous mail where I wrote:
Regarding "USB 2" versus "USB 3" see also
http://lists.alioth.debian.org/pipermail/sane-devel/2015-December/034197.html
and
http://lists.alioth.debian.org/pipermail/sane-devel/2015-December/034207.html

In
http://lists.alioth.debian.org/pipermail/sane-devel/2015-December/034207.html
there is:
Scanners usually belong to the generic "Vendor Specific Class"
because there is no specific USB device class "scanner".

In
http://lists.alioth.debian.org/pipermail/sane-devel/2015-December/034197.html
there is:
When your scanner is not connected at a USB port where the
kernel module xhci_hcd is used as kernel driver (e.g. when
your scanner is connected at a USB port where the kernel
module uhci_hcd or ehci_hcd is used as kernel driver),
then have a look at "Trouble-Shooting (Debugging)" in
https://en.opensuse.org/SDB:Configuring_Scanners

For example to get USB debugging information
you could use comands (as root) like

export SANE_DEBUG_SANEI_USB=128
scanimage -L
unset SANE_DEBUG_SANEI_USB

Kind Regards
Johannes Meixner
Graham Norton - HRB 21284 (AG Nuernberg)