[sane-devel] Defaulting to libusb-1.0 now (was Re: 1.0.25 is out, now what?)

Olaf Meeuwissen paddy-hack at member.fsf.org
Sun Jul 3 12:28:00 UTC 2016

Hi all,

Olaf Meeuwissen wrote a fairly long time ago:

> [...]
>> This is a very unofficial milestone for the goals for
>> sane-backends-1.0.26.  I will update this with feedback from the
>> sane-devel mailing list.
>>
>>  - modernize the autofoo bits
>>  - fix all compiler warnings
>>  - bump language level to C99
>>  - default to libusb-1.0

I pushed the changes last Friday and fixed up two little issues since
but libusb-1.0 is now the default for USB support on all operating
systemds except BeOS and OS/2.  In case libusb-1.0 is not available,
libusb-0.1 (and libusb-win32?) will be tried.

The --enable-libusb* options no longer exist.  Use --with-usb to make
sure USB support gets enabled (configure will fail if not available) and
--without-usb to completely disable it (configure won't even check).

The only way to prefer legacy libusb-0.1 support is by making sure that
libusb-1.0 cannot be found.

The cpp symbols have been changed as well

  HAVE_LIBUSB --> HAVE_LIBUSB_LEGACY
  HAVE_LIBUSB_0_1 --> HAVE_LIBUSB

to make clear that libusb-0.1 is on its way out.

Hope this helps,