[sane-devel] GitLab mirrors, GitLab-CI builds and GitLab Pages

Olaf Meeuwissen paddy-hack at member.fsf.org
Sun Jun 12 12:49:22 UTC 2016

Hi devs,

I've not been doing much SANE Project Janitor stuff for the last couple
of months.  Sorry about.

You may have noticed that I am no longer doing any scanner related work
@the-office[1].  I am now involved in web application development with a
whiff of devops.  Lots of fun, new stuff to learn, lots of reading to
do.

 [1] http://lists.alioth.debian.org/pipermail/sane-devel/2016-April/034524.html

Anyway, I have created mirrors of the Alioth repositories on GitLab.com
and they map as follows:

  Alioth                GitLab.com
  sane-backends         sane-project/backends
  sane-frontends        sane-project/frontends
  website               sane-project/sane-project.gitlab.io

These mirrors sync with Alioth once every hour.

# There may be some GitLab specific branches for testing purposes but
# these should be short-lived.

I have just pushed a commit that adds a `.gitlab-ci.yml` file to the
backends repository.  This will trigger CI builds on GitLab with every
sync/commit and test the build of the source code on two debian-8
environments.  These (and other) environments are maintained as part of
the sane-project/ci-envs project over at GitLab.

Currently, there are two builds, one for a minimal environment that only
has a C compiler and C library installed.  This is supposed to catch any
code that unconditionally includes things like jpeglib.h ;-)  The second
environment aims to build the code with all bells and whistles included.

Failed builds should result in emails to me and the pusher.  I am not
quite sure if the pusher is the same as the committer or whoever pushed
it to the GitLab repository (which in the case of mirroring would be
me).  If there is any interest I can change this to also notify the
sane-commit and/or sane-devel lists.

The website is rebuilt with every sync/commit as well and, if the build
was successfull and passed the tests, "deployed" to

  https://sane-project.gitlab.io/

Right now, there is very little testing going on (and even if there is a
problem the tests succeed).  Also, not all of the current website is up
yet.  Consider this a work in progress.

You can find the GitLab sane-project at

  https://gitlab.com/groups/sane-project

Please take a look and let me (and the list?) know what you think!

Hope this helps,