[sane-devel] odd experience with Fujitsu ix500

D. Hugh Redelmeier hugh at mimosa.com
Mon Jun 20 04:38:09 UTC 2016

I recently bought an ix500 to use with SANE.

connected through a USB 2 port.  It does not work when connected through a
USB 3 port.

I tested this on two Fedora 23 systems with USB 2 and 3 ports.
- HP Envy 700-19 desktop
  <http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c03795764>

- Lenovo Yoga 2 Pro notebook
  <http://shop.lenovo.com/ca/en/laptops/lenovo/yoga-laptop-series/yoga-2-pro/>

- kernel kernel-4.5.5-201.fc23.x86_64
  libusb-0.1.5-6.fc23.x86_64
  sane-backends-1.0.25-1.fc23.x86_64
  sane-backends-drivers-scanners-1.0.25-1.fc23.x86_64

I tested this on one Fedora 23 system with only USB 2 ports.

I tested this on one Ubuntu 16.04 system with USB2 and 3 ports.
- HP Compaq Elite 8300 SFF desktop
  <http://h20564.www2.hp.com/hpsc/doc/public/display?docId=emr_na-c03345460>

I have no idea if this is specific to the Fujitsu ix500 -- I don't
have other scanners to test with.

Simplest form of misbehaviour with USB 3:
	First "scanimage -L" finds the scanner.
	Subsequent "scanimage -L" commands do not find it.
	(I think that sometimes the scanner disappears from "lsusb"
	output but that doesn't seem to be always.)

I also had some system lockups but they are not repeatable.

Unplugging and plugging in the USB cable seems to reset things.

Is this a known problem?

- the Fujitsu manual says that if the scanner doesn't work with USB 3
  try USB 2.  That is surely for Windows not Linux.

Is there some testing that you would like me to do?

[Later]

I've now read
<http://lists.alioth.debian.org/pipermail/sane-devel/2015-December/034197.html>

That report doesn't seem to point to a kernel.org buzilla entry.  How come
it isn't reported upstream?