[sane-devel] Need sane docs

Gene Heskett gheskett at shentel.net
Tue May 3 14:07:49 UTC 2016

Greetings all;

I just bought a Brother MFC-J6920DW, and installed the brother linux .deb
drivers that are "supposed" to let xsane run the scanner.  But xsane
makes no attempt to access it even if I plug in a USB cable.  It did
install the name "brother4" in /etc/sane.d/dll.conf, but I can't find
that name referenced in a strace, ltrace, or latrace output.
There is no brother4.conf from the installation in that directory tree.
And locate can't find it either.

So IF I could find a step by step of how any of these names in the
dll.conf winds up being coupled into sane, it would be a huge help.

It is currently being driven by a cat5 cable, addressed on my local
192.168.xx.yy network. And the net entry in the dll is not commented
out. And it even has a web page at that address.  The printer works for
some definition of work, its said to be able to do 25 pages a minute,
but in duplex, less than 2 pages a minute. And it doesn't have a very
black ink, but that is not a sane problem. Just a heads up to potential
MFC buyers.

URL's are fine.

Thank you.

Cheers, Gene Heskett