[sane-devel] Need sane docs

Gene Heskett gheskett at shentel.net
Tue May 3 21:18:15 UTC 2016

On Tuesday 03 May 2016 16:45:58 Roger wrote:

> ON-TOPIC REPLY: You may require two separate drivers, one for the USB
> connection and another driver for the network connected device.  And
> separate drivers for the printer & scanner functions.  Albeit, they
> are sometimes bundled together by manufacturer.  (ie. HP's HPLIP
> package)
>

> OFF-TOPIC REPLY: I'm seeing quite a few posts for network
> scanners/printers.
>
> I used to use 100 Megabit network for printing some years ago, and
> particularly preferred networked products due to the having the device
> more remotely placed from the computer.  (Hey, it's the UNIX/Linux
> world here.)  Recently within the past years, I found using 100Mbit
> network was really just too slow, and found myself waiting for print
> jobs to clear the printer queue.

This system has only USB2.0, so a 100mbit ethernet is still faster. I
also have the original 400mbit firewire, but of course that horse was
accused of having a broken leg and put down because apple wanted an
outrageous price per seat.  FWIW, I have a semi-hidef Sony Handicam, and
KINO and it are 100% compatible.  So generally speaking this aging
computer has been rock solid stable, and I will run it till the fenders
rust away and fall off. :)

> I've since migrated to USB over the past year(s) for my printer; I
> just use the longest USB cord now.  I have no experience with 1
> Gigabit network capable printers.  Speeds maybe more acceptable using
> Gigabit for printing, but I doubt for scanning.  (For draft quality
> printing using an HP printer, I've even opted to use the faster PCL
> driver instead of PS driver.)
>
> As far as scanners, the speed will likely be exponentially affected
> due to the larger amounts of data.
>
> --
> Roger
> http://rogerx.freeshell.org/