[sane-devel] Need sane docs

Gene Heskett gheskett at shentel.net
Thu May 5 13:16:51 UTC 2016

On Thursday 05 May 2016 05:41:39 Yury Tarasievich wrote:

> Never used ethernet accessible scanners, but a
> good practice on using sane from sources is to
> be sure you don't have the previous versions'
> 'leftovers' (configs, `rules.d` files, ...) in
> your installation.
>
> I'd say your log hints at saned already being
> run on your system with some already existing
> (or default) configs.
>
> What does `netstat -t -na` say?

Thats a long list, but contains no reference to the scanners ip when
xsane isn't running.

I did get it to work with xsane over the local network, but the command
response is at least an additional 5 seconds over the speed of the USB2
access.  If I hook up a usb cable, and choose that as the access path,
load a sheet in the adf, and click on preview, it will start that scan
in about 2 seconds.

If I choose the ethernet access, the lag is closer to 8 seconds.
the data retrieval phase however is nominally equal in time.

To get a gigabit connection, I have ordered a gigabit 8 port switch to
replace my 100Mbit switch.  Amazon says I'll have it tomorrow, late.

Thank you Yury

Cheers, Gene Heskett
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)