[sane-devel] new Backenddriver

Johannes Meixner jsmeix at suse.de
Wed Oct 19 13:06:32 UTC 2016

Hello,

On Oct 19 21:51 Olaf Meeuwissen wrote (excerpt):
> Michael Rall writes:
>> So basically my SANE Backend needs to call a Webservice
>> an will receive an Image as result.
> ... I mentioned the pnm backend is because
> it reads an image from file.

I have a - perhaps stupid - generic question:

What is the reason for a SANE backend when one already
has an image as a file?

I assumed the reason for a SANE backend is to create
an image file in a known image data format from whatever
special bits of data that a scanner hardware can deliver.

For example when a network scanner can deliver an e-mail
with the scanned image(s) e.g. as JPEG or PDF attachment,
then I think there is no need for a SANE backend.

In other words: When that Webservice cannot deliver
known image data formats but only whatever special bits
of data that need to be converted into a known image data
format, then I would understand a SANE backend for it.

Kind Regards
Johannes Meixner
Graham Norton - HRB 21284 (AG Nuernberg)