[sane-devel] Writing a backend for the Canon CanoScan D1250U2

Maxime Lecoq maxime.lecoq.a at wanadoo.fr
Sat Sep 17 09:21:36 UTC 2016

Hi,

I intend to write a backend for the Canon CanoScan D1250U2 that is currently not supported by sane.

Some people have been working on that scanner as we can see on its device page information <http://www.sane-project.org/unsupported/canon-d1250u2.html>.
Chipset has been partly identified.
Discussion about the development can be found here : 2003, January <http://lists.alioth.debian.org/pipermail/sane-devel/2003-January/subject.html> and 2003, May <http://lists.alioth.debian.org/pipermail/sane-devel/2003-May/subject.html>.
Norbert Bataille seems to succeed in getting it to produce BMP files <http://lists.alioth.debian.org/pipermail/sane-devel/2003-May/007618.html>.
A brother of the D1250U, the CanoScan D660U is supported.

I’m a C++ programmer but I have no idea how a scanner works.
I did not ever write a driver nor a backend.
I’m not familiar at all with hardware programmation.

Any piece of advice would be appreciated.

Regards,

Maxime Lecoq.