[sane-devel] [Janitorial] Zero(!) compiler warnings

Olaf Meeuwissen paddy-hack at member.fsf.org
Thu Sep 22 12:13:25 UTC 2016

m. allan noah writes:

> On Wed, Sep 21, 2016 at 9:12 AM, Olaf Meeuwissen
> <paddy-hack at member.fsf.org> wrote:
>> Hi devs,
>>
>> About a year ago, I set out trying to get rid of *all* compiler warnings
>> on a "well-defined" build platform.  I'm happy to report that we've made
>> it!  With the commit of ee550e5d[1], the debian-8-full build[2], is free
>> of compiler warnings!
>
> My goodness! Now how will I know if the build is working, without all
> the noise :) Nice work!

Thanks!

>> ... next are four linker warnings about the use of `mktemp`, which, as
>> we all know, is racey and should be avoided.  Like the plague, so I'd
>> like to see these get fixed.
>>
>> # I have a patch for the avision backend already.  By all means, tackle
>> # any of the canon, canon_dr and dc25 backends' use of mktemp.
>
> Note: it is canon that is busted, canon_dr does not use mktemp.

The linker thinks it does.  Could be that both backends link the same
file in.  I haven't really looked at it yet.

> I'm not sure if any of these four backends are maintained anymore.

That's not a reason to not fix them ;-).  It just makes it a bit more
tricky and risky.

> Any thoughts on sending some kind of email to a committer, or to a
> mailing list when we trip that -Werror?

The GitLab CI builds will mail me and the commit's pusher (but that's
probably me considering the way GitLab handles repository mirrors) on
build failures.

If desired, I can add more email addresses and/or get mail sent for all
builds whether successful or failed.  Suggestions welcome.

# If adding the lists, we need to find a way to subscribe (or exempt)
# the address that generates these mails.

Hope that helps,