[sane-devel] Testing for Canon PIXMA MG5420

Rolf Bensch rolf at bensch-online.de
Tue Apr 4 09:41:16 UTC 2017

Hi James,

Many thanks for your report.

Your scanner has already been listed as supported in the listing for the
SANE Development (git) Version
(http://www.sane-project.org/lists/sane-backends-cvs.html#S-PIXMA).

You can check if the backend (pixma) implementation supports button
controlled scanning with your scanner:

(1) Connect your scanner via USB, disconnect WiFi

(2) Push any button, which should trigger a scan

(3) Request the pushed button on a console with:
$ SANE_DEBUG_PIXMA=11 scanimage -A

The response should contain data similar like this:

  Buttons:
    --button-update
        Update button state
[pixma] INTR T=1.270 len=32
[pixma]  00000000:00 30 00 00 00 00 00 00  00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00
[pixma]  00000010:00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00  00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00
[pixma]
    --button-1 <int> [1] [read-only]
        Button 1
    --button-2 <int> [0] [read-only]
        Button 2
    --original <int> [0] [read-only]
        Type of original to scan
    --target <int> [3] [read-only]
        Target operation type
    --scan-resolution <int> [0] [read-only]
        Scan resolution

If the response doesn't contain lines starting with [pixma], your
scanner doesn't support button controlled scanning.

If you can see lines starting with [pixma], please report this data for
all available buttons.

Hope this helps.

Cheers,
Rolf