[sane-devel] scanbd ... next steps / questions ...

Axel Schöner axel.schoener at hs-kl.de
Thu Apr 27 13:29:09 UTC 2017

Am Samstag, 22. April 2017, 19:02:57 CEST schrieb Dr.-Ing. Dieter Jurzitza:
> Dear listmembers,
> probably these questions have readily been asked over and over again, then
> my apologies:
>
> 1.) /etc/scanbd/scripts
> which scripts does this refer to? There are some scripts in /etc/scanbd,
> those like "scanadf.script" and "test.script" (I am using a spec - file for
> opensuse some other person had had generated)? If I look into
> /etc/scanbd/scanbd.conf they ought to reside within /etc/scanbd/scripts, is
> that correct? Is there a configure - option that would print out all
> directories in use (or, even better, put this summarizing into config.log
> like several other packages do / emacs is a nice example in this regard
> ...)?

The scripts which are executed while device insertion/removal and by pushing
buttons should be located in ${prefix}/etc/scanbd/scripts. We will fix the
makefiles... to correct this (in the next days).

> 2.) /usr/lib64/scanbd/scanbuttond/backends, is this the directory I should
> copy /etc/saned/dll.conf to as well as all the other files from /etc/saned
> that are uncommented within *this* dll.conf (except net.conf) in contrast to
> /etc/saned/dll.conf that ought to contain no reference but "net"? Is this
> what is menat with "backends"?

I think these files should be in ${prefix}/etc/saned/. Where do you have this
information from?

> 3.) SCANBD_DEVICE could be /dev/scanner (if I have such a device?)
In most cases there is no such devicenode.
It could be something like plustek:libusb:001:003.
When you plug in your device it should be detected if there is a supported
driver configured. Look at the end of ${prefix}/etc/saned/scanbd.conf

> 4.) SCANBD_ACTION - I do not really understand what is about this.

This is a variable which represents the actual event (insert, remove, scan,
copy, ...) the definitions are in scanbd.conf.
It is possible to trigger different scripts based on these events (if you have
more then one detected button on your scanner).

You can launch scanbd in debug mode to see the values of SCANBD_DEVICE and
SCANBD_ACTION: ${prefix}/sbin/scanbd -d7 -f -c ${prefix}/etc/scanbd/scanbd.conf
.

--
M. Sc. Axel Schöner
Hochschule Kaiserslautern in Zweibrücken
email: axel.schoener at hs-kl.de
http://hs-kl.de/~axel.schoener/