[sane-devel] adding a timeout for the scanner lamp

m. allan noah kitno455 at gmail.com
Fri Apr 28 15:34:07 UTC 2017

 The driver (we call them backends) is the only part of sane that
knows the protocol the scanner speaks. So, the backend would have to
be called to perform this task. As an alternative, perhaps the
frontend (xsane in this case) could close the scanner when it is idle,
and re-open it when the user does something. That would in theory work
with all scanners.

allan

On Fri, Apr 28, 2017 at 11:15 AM, Fred 1 <zfred68 at gmail.com> wrote:
> Mustek BearPaw 2448 TA
>
> does it matter ?
>
> so i should be looking at the driver code?
>

> On 29/04/17 01:11, m. allan noah wrote:
>>
>> Depends on which scanner you are talking about, which you did not say.
>>
>> allan
>>
>> On Fri, Apr 28, 2017 at 10:58 AM, Fred 1 <zfred68 at gmail.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> i'm not quite familiar with the code yet, but say i want to add a timeout
>>> thingy for the scanner lamp,
>>>
>>> normally the lamp turns off when you exit xsane, ok, but failing that
>>> would
>>> like to have a configurable timeout....
>>>
>>> so i'll take any advice from who is already more familiar with the codes,
>>>
>>> thanks
>>>

>>> --

of my hand"