[sane-devel] Need Help getting Canon ImageClass MF244dw working

Dave Platt dplatt at radagast.org
Tue Aug 8 20:35:48 UTC 2017

On 08/08/2017 01:04 PM, Curtis Graham wrote:
> Dave
>
> I really appreciate that you took the time to see if 1.0.27 was in
> testing. I don't know where to look for that.

What I did, was to go to www.debian.org, click on "Packages".

Then, go down to the "Search package directories" area, enter
"sane" in the search string and "testing" for distribution,
and do a search.  This brings up all of the packages in that
distribution with "sane" in the name.

What the SANE projects calls "sane-backends", is mostly in the
Debian package called "libsane" - it's the runtime libraries (which
is how the back-ends are packaged - they're dynamically-loadable
libraries).

The Debian "sane" package is mostly the front-ends.

> So I found this and it looks like it was written Today. Does this look
> like it will point me in the right direction? And do I need to do just
> the backends or both back and front ends? I don't know if that is just
> installing the frontend GUI programs or does that tie the frontends to
> the backends somehow...scratching head...

That's a reasonable place to start reading, although I don't know how
specific to any particular version of Linux their particular
instructions might be.

You should need to rebuild only the back-ends (that was my own
experience, at least).  The front-end GUI programs make use of the
back-end libraries, via the SANE APIs.  You should find that front-ends
built from 1.0.25, will work just fine with back-end libraries built
from the 1.0.27 sources.

I'd suggest downloading the 1.0.27 source tarball directly from the
main SANE archive site, rather than from a third-party site... no
telling what changes might have been made for various reasons in the
third-party version.  In this case it seems safe enough (the fossies
site gives the same MD5 checksum as the one at the main SANE project
archives, and the download matches the checksum, so it hasn't been
altered or tampered with) but it's usually best to go back to the
source.

What you would need to do:

	(download the tarball)
	md5sum sane-backends-1.0.27.tar.gz

	(make sure this reports b10a08785f92a4c07ad961f4d843c934)

	tar xfa sane-backends-1.0.27.tar.gz
	cd sane-backends-1.0.27
	sudo apt-get build-dep libsane
	sudo apt-get install build-essentials
	./configure

	(this should tell you that it's going to install into
	 /usr/local/ subdirectories)

	make

	(this should build all of the backends)

At this point you have a bunch of ways you can go about installing.

If you look in "./.libs/" you should find ./.libs/libsane-pixma.so
which is the newly-build version of the Pixma backend.

You can do a "sudo make install" which will install all of the SANE
libraries and back-ends into /usr/local/lib/sane/ and install a bunch
of new configuration files into /usr/local/etc/sane.d/.  That may work
although I can't guarantee that the loader will find those new
libraries since you've already got the standard Debian versions
installed.

Or, you can very selectively install just this one back-end:

sudo mv /usr/lib/sane/libsane-pixma.so /usr/lib/sane/libsane-pixma.so.backup
sudo cp ./.libs/libsane-pixma.so /usr/lib/sane/

That approach will leave you with your existing Debian SANE
installation unchanged _except_ for this one modified
back-end library.

Hope this helps you get started.  Use at your own risk.  No
warranty offered, express or implied.  If it breaks, you own
all the pieces.  :-)