[sane-devel] [janitorial] Alpine compiler warnings, GitLab.com mirror constipation and Whitespace XOR tabs

Olaf Meeuwissen paddy-hack at member.fsf.org
Sat Aug 12 12:33:52 UTC 2017

Hi all,

Since I will be off-line for a couple of days starting 2017-08-13, I
figured I'd sent a small update.

## Alpine Compiler Warnings

These are now at an all-time low.  The ones that remain I have no intent
of fixing because they our not within the scope of sane-backend to fix.
One series of warnings is due to an inconsistency in the musl library's
ioctl[1] and the other is equally due to that library insisting that the
avahi header files include <poll.h> rather than <system/poll.h>[2].

 [1] https://bugs.alpinelinux.org/issues/7580
 [2] https://bugs.alpinelinux.org/issues/7581

I would have included a link to an appropriate build log of our GitLab
CI builds if it weren't for some serious ...

## GitLab.com Mirror Constipation

Since the beginning of July, the sane-project git repository mirrors[3]
I've set have been lagging and since 2017-07-25 have stopped altogether
:-(  That means the repositories there are behind, but more importantly
it also means that new commits no longer trigger CI builds.  Just when I
had set up building of release-style snapshot source tarballs :-((

 [3] https://gitlab.com/sane-project

The GitLab.com folks have been informed[4] and are working on a general
solution[5] (it affects some 24000 mirrored projects!) but in the mean
time we're without CI builds :-(((

 [4] https://gitlab.com/gitlab-com/support-forum/issues/2206
 [5] https://gitlab.com/gitlab-org/gitlab-ee/issues/3021

## Whitespace XOR Tabs

After arguing heatedly(?) in favour of cleaning up, I haven't really
done much in this area yet.  I do plan to though, so it's not off the
plate.  It's just not all that pressing for me right now having found
some other, not directly SANE related, stuff to play with.  Of course,
there are also still a few tracker[6] items and mailing list threads
that keep me (pre-)occupied ;-)

Actually, this stuff that I'm playing with started out of a desire to
*maybe* help the Devuan[7] folks maintaining systemd-free SANE binary
packages.

 [6] https://alioth.debian.org/tracker/?group_id=30186
 [7] https://devuan.org/

For those that don't know what to do with all the bucket loads of free
time of their summer holidays, there is still a pile of error warnings
for the Fedora builds that could use your attention.
Feel free to pick up my slack!

Hope this helps,