[sane-devel] Reflecta DigiDia 5000 not found

Klaus Kaempf kkaempf at suse.de
Fri Dec 22 07:25:45 UTC 2017

* Reinhard Kotucha <reinhard.kotucha at web.de> [Dec 22. 2017 02:58]:
> Hi,
> first of all, thank you very much for sane.
>
> I've bought a slide scanner (Reflecta DigiDia 5000) from a friend
> which is classified as "Untested".  However, its successor (DigiDia
> 6000) is supported and I doubt that there are significant differences.

Moin Reinhard,

welcome to the wonderful world of Reflecta/PIE interfaces. ;-)

Please run
  export SANE_DEBUG_PIEUSB=11
in a shell and then start xsane from there.

This should report the model number. Add it to pieusb.conf and you
should be all set.

> I created a file
>
>   /etc/udev/rules.d/40-libsane.rules
>
> containing the line
>
> ATTRS{idVendor}=="05e3", ATTRS{idProduct}=="0142", ENV{libsane_matched}="yes"

Please add 'GROUP="lp",' to this list to give you full access to the
usb device.

> The file
>
>   /etc/sane.d/pieusb.conf
>
> contains the line
>
>   usb 0x05e3 0x0142
>
> and everything else is commented out.

That's the old format and insufficient for your device.

> This looks better because libsane-pieusb.so.1 is read but scanimage -L
> still fails.  Is it on purpose that pieusb is not in dll.conf by default?

Your version of 'sane' is too old.

> Though I don't believe that anything regarding Reflecta scanners was
> changed recently, I temporarily installed the current git version of
> sane-backends.

Awesome, you're all set. The 'model number' is the only missing part.

> It didn't solve my problem either but introduced a new room of freedom.
> Entries in pieusb.conf now have the form
>
>   usb <vendor-id> <device-id> <model-nr> <has-slide-transport>
>
> and I do not know how to determine the <model-nr> of my scanner.
> Therefore I switched back to the version provided by Debian but can
> activate the current git version at any time if desired.
>
> I'm absolutely clueless now.  What am I doing wrong?

Nothing. You just happen to be the first to use this scanner.

Klaus