[sane-devel] big problems between epson perfection 660 and xsane

Olaf Meeuwissen paddy-hack at member.fsf.org
Sun Mar 5 11:33:05 UTC 2017

Hi Solliaa,

Solliaa writes:

> hi !
> since many months i have a big bug between my scanner and xsane.
> in reality, since outgoing from ubuntu-mate 16.04; and again with 16.10.
> = nothing runs !! :(

Hmm, I just helped someone out whose Epson 210 scanner stopped working
when he upgrade from Ubuntu 14.04 to Ubuntu 16.04 ...

> before that, my scanner was running fine since many many years.
> needed some adaptations like here : http://srimal-techdiary.blogspot.fr/2008/04/installing-epson-perfection-660-usb.html
> but all was ok.

OK, your scanner should be supported by the snapscan backend (and none
of the epson* backends) provided you install a copy of the firmware
somewhere.  You may try commenting out one or the other entry in your
snapscan.conf.  I don't know if it supports multiple files (haven't
checked the source code).

> just: it was.... now, i dont understand why nor whats happen :(
> all whats was, is not more :(
> i searched many and many hours on internet and the best {simplest, clearest for me} i found, are here : (sorry for the french ;) )
> https://doc.ubuntu-fr.org/sane-backends
> https://doc.ubuntu-fr.org/scanner_usb_non_reconnu

# Haven't had any French since fourth grade secondary school, but the
# code snippets tell a lot.

Did you install the packages from Rolf's PPA?  As per

  https://doc.ubuntu-fr.org/sane-backends#via_un_ppa

> even if my scanner seems to be recognize =
> $ sane-find-scanner -q gives back :
> found USB scanner (vendor=0x04b8 [EPSON], product=0x0114 [EPSON Scanner]) at libusb:005:002

Never mind that, it doesn't mean much anymore these days.

> $ scanimage -L makes the scanner in light but nothing more.

What happens when you run this via `sudo`?  As in

  sudo scanimage -L

If that shows your scanner, then what about

  sudo scanimage -T

> i send you too the pages *.conf from ' /etc/sane.d ' , if it could help you.
> if more are needed > ask me.
>
> what have you to explain to me to help for this problem, please ?
>
> i dont have money to buy a new scanner -_- only for that.......
> then, i wish very hard, its a solution for this.
>
> thanks for your answer as soon as possible :)
>
> sincerely yours
> elis

Hope this helps,