[sane-devel] Brother MFC-5840CN

Joseph Simone averagejoey2000 at tfwno.gf
Sun Mar 5 14:30:27 UTC 2017

Hi Andre!

I have a brother mfc9340cdw, and my laptop detects the webcam as well. You must use scanimage --device "brother2:bus3;dev2". Otherwise, sane does not know what to choose. It's also important to specify your source, and indicate with your scan command, duplex, color, or flatbed scan.

On my machine, I run scanimage --device "brother4:net1;dev0" --source "Black & White(Duplex)" -b $(date)%d.tif --format tiff

Or just use xsane and click on your device using the radio button, save yourself from carpal tunnel syndrome.
-Joe