[sane-devel] Is it time of a new release?

Olaf Meeuwissen paddy-hack at member.fsf.org
Mon Mar 20 11:52:06 UTC 2017

Hi Luiz,

Luiz Angelo Daros de Luca writes:

> Hi,
>
> We already have more than 500 commits since 1.0.25. As a downstream
> maintainer (openwrt/lede), I get lost between those tons of patches
> and how to select them to be backported.
>
> Shouldn't sane-backend release a new version?

As Allan mentioned in another reply, there is talk of releasing sometime
in April.

> Also, It would be really nice if SANE could keep a stable branch. It would
> be, at least, a place to target cherry-picks.

Considering the way things work now (as in, we don't do bug fix releases
of any kind), the RELEASE_1_0_x tag would be the start of your stable
branch for the largest value of x.

> Maybe it could change its version number to something like other projects
> do as:
>
> x.y.0 - feature release x.y
> x.y.n - fix release n
>
> It would be better if x.y is year/month. At least there is no discussion on
> whether the new release is big enough to tic the first number.

This would break the dll backend, like, completely.  For better of for
worse (the latter if you ask me), that backend's backend loading logic
is tightly tied to the package's version number.  To such an extent,
that we cannot even release a 1.1.x without breaking stuff, IIRC.

Hope this, eh, helps,