[sane-devel] Testing for Canon PIXMA MG5420

James Duvall jamesd253 at yahoo.com
Wed Mar 29 22:06:06 UTC 2017

I have a Canon PIXMA MG5420 printer/scanner that seems to mostly work with sane-pixma backend.  Support for the MG5400 series is still listed as unconfirmed in the documentation.  I would be happy to test my device and report any results.
I am running Ubuntu 16.10 (yakkety) amd64In the Ubuntu package release (sane-utils 1.0.25+git20150528-1ubuntu2), the systemd configuration for saned is broken, but it works fine with the updated build from ppa:rolfbensch/sane-git.  I am using the following:sane 1.0.14-11 amd64
libsane 1.0.26-git20160712sane-utils 1.0.26-git20160712
I primarily use the scanner over a wifi network, and most features seem to workHere is what works:scanning from Simple Scan 3.22.0.1
scanning from XSane 0.999
All resolutions (75, 150, 300, 600, 1200, 2400 dpi)

Here is what doesn't work:
button controlled scanninginitiating scanning from the scanner control panel
For the items that don't work, it is entirely possible that I just don't understand how to configure these features correctly.  With my win7 box with the proprietary Canon IJ network tool installed, I am able to select my computer as a destination for the scanned file, then initiate the scan by hitting either the "Start Color" or "Start B&W" buttons on the pixma front panel.  I am normally unable to see my Ubuntu box on this destination list.  However, if I enterscanimage -d pixma:MG5400_192.168.0.3 --button-controlled=yes > tempimageMy Ubuntu box will temporarily appear in the destination list.  However, I am still unable to initiate the scan.
I don't know anything about the BJNP protocol except what I read in the sane-pixma documentation, but I am happy to learn and help you test.
Regards,
James