[sane-devel] Hiring a SANE developer for custom backend

Olaf Meeuwissen paddy-hack at member.fsf.org
Tue May 30 12:08:34 UTC 2017

Hi Brandon,

I saw Torfinn's reply but wanted to chime in with my take on it.

Brandon Anderson writes:

> Hey Everyone,
>
> So I have not gotten any replies outside of this one, Just curious if
> there are any SANE backend developers who can add support for this
> scanner? Just want a cost estimate and we can talk about the work for
> it. Kind of shock there have been no replies so far.

Not all that shocking.  I used to work pretty much full-time on EPSON
scanner driver development for Linux.  Now I do web development related
work but still hang around here at the SANE project as a *volunteer*.

While I wouldn't mind earning something on the side, my current employer
does not allow that.  So I would have to do the work unpaid but I'm not
sure that wouldn't raise an eyebrow at the office (potential conflict of
interest and such).  That is also why am I not taking up maintenance of
the various backends that support EPSON scanners (they're unmaintained
at the moment).

Also, there are more fun things to do with my free time than add support
for a scanner.  I wouldn't be surprised if most of the SANE developers
feel the same way ;-)

Hope this clarifies a bit and good luck finding any takers,