[sane-devel] Epson WorkForce DS-1630

Olaf Meeuwissen paddy-hack at member.fsf.org
Thu Nov 9 12:14:48 UTC 2017

Hi Isabelle,

Ralph Little writes:

> Hi,Don't know about SANE but the US Epson website mentions that they
> have a Linux scanner driver for it (just in case if you are not aware
> of it).  I don't have any experience with it and they explicitly state
> that they do not provide support for it, which seems like a bit of a
> cop-out.So no guarantees of course. :(
>
> https://epson.com/faq/SPT_B11B206201~faq-205960
>
> ..and search for the model.

Thanks for the follow-up Ralph.

If the EPSON download site says it's supported by their Image Scan V3,
you should be able to use it with any SANE frontend after installing
Image Scan V3.

In addition, there is a *chance* that it works (to some extent) with one
of the epsonds, epson2 and epson backends.

That's because, unfortunately, EPSON does not provide information
linking model names to USB product IDs and SANE does not include third
party backend information in that page :-(

If EPSON provided the linking information, I'd be able to create a much
more useful utsushi.desc file.  And if SANE added third party backends
to those pages, you'd actually be able to find it.

# We could do something about the latter though.

You won't find the DS-1630 there (yet?), but, FWIW, the utsushi.desc
info is at

  http://www.sane-project.org/lists/sane-backends-external.html#S-UTSUSHI

If you can tell me the USB product ID for the DS-1630, I'll fix that
right away.

Hope this helps,